The extreme temperatures are not only hard on the truck. The heart of the truck – the driver – should also take good care of itself. Otherwise it is always said that fitness exercises are important. Right! But not in this heat: In order to keep the circulation stable, for example, one should now do without great efforts and drink sufficiently and regularly. 2 litres per day are standard, now it may become also three and more. The drink should be as unsugared as possible and at room temperature; the “warming up” of ice-cold drinks in the stomach additionally stresses the body.
Avoid staying in the blazing sun
If you sit in the sun during the break, you risk a sunstroke. This can result in headaches and concentration problems. If you get dizzy, dizzy or nauseous, this could be a sign of overheating or even heat stroke. And then what? Immediately go into the shade, drink something, call a doctor in an emergency. Important: On the motorway, you may also use the emergency telephones in case of (heat) emergency!
Here are some tips on how you as a truck driver can best protect yourself at high temperatures:
- Use sunscreens – apply cream about half an hour before the start of the journey (it takes some time before the sunscreens take effect).
- Put on sunglasses – only in good quality with UV filter. No brightly tinted lenses!
- Put a baseball cap or hat on.
- Get two or three pure cotton T-shirts ready to change.
- Put on light sandals during breaks.
- Do not ride barefoot! Sturdy shoes when riding.
- Make sure you have a thermos jug with cool (not ice-cold) iced tea or lemon water.
- Do you have at least four or five litres of mineral water on board? Please drink regularly.
- Cooling/freshening wipes or bracelets from a pharmacy or chemist’s so-called for refreshment.
- Eat water-rich snacks such as melons, cucumbers, berries, etc. between meals.
- You can refresh your legs with a cooling gel (e.g. horse chestnut extract).
- Install a fan if necessary (car accessories).
11 professional tips for professional drivers:
- When eating only fresh, light food in several small portions, do without hot and spicy food.
- the body loses minerals through sweating. Fruit juices (bananas, tomatoes) replace them.
- cut down on one’s coffee.
- 1 layer of clothing for large temperature differences (air conditioner).
- in the truck (or in buildings) do not expose themselves to the (cold) air flow from air conditioners, blowers, etc.
- shower lukewarm before sleep breaks, do not dry off.
- if showering several times a day, omit soap (skin dries out), apply cream to skin.
- lie down in the breaks, cream legs with gel and elevate them.
- put fresh T-shirt in the fridge before putting on / store medicine in a cool place.
- Alcohol in leisure time: limit, dilute (cyclists, spritzers). Attention: Alcohol degradation is a strain on the circulation!
- Caution: Do not leave any deodorants or other spray cans on shelves; danger of explosion.